A few tips to keep things smelling fresh in your fridge!
- As much as possible, contain foods in airtight containers. They will stay fresher longer and the odors will not spread as much if they do spoil.
- To prevent odors in the future, make a point to look in once a week or so and remove expired food. Try looking right before you take out the trash. It’s a good reminder and items don’t sit around in your kitchen trash smelling bad.
- Cleaning the fridge with vanilla extract also ensures that the odor is eliminated. To make your fridge smell clean, you can add soak up vanilla extract into a cotton ball and then place the ball inside the fridge.
- If you must leave a refrigerator turned off or unplugged for a period of time, clean it thoroughly first and remove all food. Then, leave it propped open a bit. Even when cleaned, a warm and closed fridge is certain to smell bad in time.
- Regardless of which method(s) you choose, don’t put the food back into your refrigerator until the stench has cleared.